In: Smart TV
MediaTek’s new CrossMount standard lets devices share their hardware and software when they’re on the same WiFi network, letting you use whichever components make sense in a given situation. You can use your phone’s mic to dictate voice commands to your TV, for example, or use your phone’s webcam for a video chat on your tablet. CrossMount is an open standard based on the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) standard you probably have in some of your existing gear, so it might be easy to implement when it’s available in the third quarter of the year.
January 20, 2015
The MHL Consortium announced the superMHL specification, the next-generation of MHL technology for CE and mobile devices. Features include:
- Delivery of up to 8K 120fps video
- Deep Color support up to 48-bit color depths
- Wider color gamut to view content the way filmmakers intended
- High-Dynamic Range (HDR) support to strike the perfect balance of bright spectral highlights along with shadow details
- Immersive surround sound with support for object audio such as Dolby Atmos®, DTS-UHD™, and 3D audio
- Advanced connectivity configurations to link multiple MHL devices together and control them via one remote
- Power charging up to 40W
- Content on multiple displays when connecting a single device
- New reversible superMHL connector
- New support for the MHL Alt Mode for the USB Type-C specification
January 5, 2015
Roku has prepared a Roku TV reference design for 4K smart TVs for license to TV OEM partners. Global TV manufacturer TCL, which released Roku TV models last year, will work with Roku to build 4K models, too. Roku also said it’s working with Netflix to provide 4K content for streaming on the Roku platform.
December 31, 2014
LG’s 4K Ultra HD TV with Wide Color LED technology, making its debut at CES, provides greater color depth and more lifelike images. In addition, the Quantum Dot technology offers higher color accuracy and a 30 per cent increase in the color gamut.
July 10, 2014
The flexible OLED panel has a resolution of 1200×810, and can be rolled up to a radius of 3 centimeters without affecting the function of the display.
The transparent OLED panel has a 30 percent transmittance, or clarity, with 10 percent being common for existing transparent LCD panels. I’m eagerly awaiting large UHDTV panels with much more transmittance!
July 7, 2014
The DVB-UHDTV Phase 1 specification updates ETSI TS 101 154 to add HEVC/H.265 Profiles for DVB HDTV (using HEVC Main profile level 4.1) and UDHTV (using HEVC Main 10 profile, Level 5.1) broadcasting services. Contrast will be drastically improved by increasing the number of bits per pixel to 10 bit.
This high-performance hardware IP block for SoC manufacturers delivers both a HEVC/H.265 encoder and a HEVC/H.265 decoder, capable of processing the 10-bit 4:2:0 format that is regarded as the best video standard ever. It also uses a proprietary frame compression technology to reduce memory bandwidth by 50~70%. The scalable architecture enables processing up to real-time 8K 60fps video with core extension.